Saturday, January 24, 2015

Saturday market in Pézenas

A big beautiful red sun rose over the vineyards this morning, just heralding promise. So I took myself off to the big market in Pézenas. Despite being blustery cold and the slow season, it was wonderful. I wish I had portraits of every oh-so-memorable person I spoke to~ the oyster man, the fruit boy, the old woman who sold me beautiful fingerling potatoes, spinach and brussels sprouts, the bread lady and the truffle man. (Ah... the truffle man, straight out of central casting, he explained no less than 3 times exactly how I should heat the oil, put it the shaved truffles, add the eggs, turn off the heat,  let them sit for 2-3 minutes and turn them out and enjoy them) Also the escargot woman who patiently described all the different jars of escargots; with tomatoes, ground 1/2 and 1/2 with pork, with escabeche, in a spread with garlic and parsley (that was just as tasty as it sounds), et mon favorite- escargots confit in duck fat. I was completely overwhelmed and walked away with no escargots but grinning widely knowing this is available to me every Saturday for 2 months!!! Other than the escargots I bought nearly everything that appealed to me. So I have a well stocked frig with oysters on the menu for ce soir.











1 comment:

thanks for reading!